Thursday, April 28, 2011

Bread of Life

. . . wine that makes glad the heart of man, oil to make his face shine, and bread which strengthens man's heart.  Psalm 104:15


"It is written, 'Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God'".  Matthew 4:4


Then Jacob made a vow, saying, "If God will be with me, and keep me in this way that I am going, and give me bread to eat, clothing to put on, so that I come back to my father's house in peace, then the LORD shall be my God."    Genesis 28:20,21


So you shall serve the LORD your God, and He will bless your bread and your water.  And I will take away sickness from the midst of you.  Exodus 23:25


"At twilight you shall eat meat, and in the morning you shall be filled with bread.  And you shall know that I am the LORD your God . . . So when the children of Israel saw it, they said to one another, "What is it?"  For they did not know what it was.  And Moses said to them, "This is the bread which the LORD has given you to eat."  Exodus 16:12b,15


"And you shall remember that the LORD your God led you all the way these forty years in the wilderness, to humble you and test you, to know what was in your heart, whether you would keep His commandments or not.  So He humbled you, allowed you to hunger, and fed you with manna which you did not know nor did your fathers know, that He might make you know that man shall not live by bread alone; but man lives by every word that proceeds from the mouth of the LORD." Deuteronomy 8"2,3


You gave them bread from heaven for their hunger, and brought them water out of the rock for their thirst . . . Nehemiah 9:15

Why do you spend money for what is not bread, and your wages for what does not satisfy?  Listen diligently to Me and eat what is good and let your soul delight itself in abundance.  Incline your ear, and come to Me, hear, and your soul shall live . . . For as the rain comes down and the snow from heaven and do not return there but water the earth, and make it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower and bread to the eater,  so shall My word be that goes forth from My mouth; it shall not return to Me void, but it shall accomplish what I please, and it shall prosper in the thing for which I sent it.  Isaiah 55:2,10,11


Give us this day our daily bread.  Matthew 6:11

And as they were eating, Jesus took bread, blessed it and broke it, and gave it to the disciples and said, "Take, eat . . . this is My body which is given for you . . .  do this in remembrance of Me." Matthew 26:26, Luke 22:19


Then Jesus said to them, "Most assuredly, I say to you, Moses did not give you the bread from heaven, but My Father gives you the true bread from heaven.  For the bread of God is He who comes down from heaven and gives life to the world . . . I am the bread of life. He who comes to Me shall never hunger and he who believes in Me shall never thirst."  John 6:32-34


4 comments:

  1. Lovely. Bread translates into any culture and the bread of life satisfies the deepest longings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Simply perfect and what my heart needed to hold onto tonight... I will hold onto the True Bread from heaven and rest fully in Him... I will delight in Him and be satisfied

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andrea, your post reminded me of a layout I did a few years ago in honor of my grandfather, quoting a different scripture. He was a baker and that was my inspiration. Your post motivated me to share him on my blog. And made me think again, how often we have kindred thoughts.
    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nope, we even had the same chapter in John 6...

    ReplyDelete